For a Chicago-resident poet whose biography creates linkages between the West and other regions around the world, you might be interested in Ed Roberson (http://www.edroberson.net). Speaking of poets, this question also reminds me of research by Krista Comer and Alex Meany on Wanda Coleman (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/wanda-coleman).

But Percival Everett is great and Watershed, though maybe not his best-known, is weird, interesting for this topic, and short enough to be teachable. There’s an edition (Beacon Press, 2nd Ed., 2003) with a prefatory note by Sherman Alexie if you want to create a tie-in.

Best wishes,

Eric Morel
Doctoral Candidate
Department of English