Colleagues,

Apologies if you have already seen this.  We are trying to pass along information as quickly as possible so please forgive any cross postings.  As many of you are probably aware former USDA colleague and Dipterist Lloyd Knutson had a massive stroke in mid-December.  This stroke was severe enough that it seemed unlikely, at least at the time, that Lloyd would be able to continue his research as it resulted in extensive paralysis.  Between Christmas and New Years an update indicated that he was recovering well so there was cause for cautious optimism.  Unfortunately, it is with great sadness that I report that Lloyd had a subsequent heart attack which ultimately proved too much for his body to bear.  Lloyd passed away yesterday.  I have no additional information at this time, but will try to pass along details and arrangements as they become available to me.  The Diptera community, and especially the Sciomyzid fly research community, has lost a great colleague, and so have we.  Lloyd made many trips to visit NMNH in retirement to work in the collection and always brought a small to medium-sized army of fly researchers each time he did.  He will be missed.  Please keep his wife Mara and his family and friends in your thoughts.

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
Curator & Collections Manager
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Tel (office): 202-633-0982
Fax (office): 202-786-2894
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Staff Website:  http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/ShockleyF.html