*PhD Scholarship: Cork Opera House, Social & Historical Perspectives*

*Application deadline: 30 April 2018*

*Terms: Fee waiver & stipend of €10,000 p.a. for three years (full-time,
beginning Sept 2018 or Jan 2019)*

To mark the beginning of a 10-year collaboration between University College
Cork and Cork Opera House, we are delighted to announce a PhD scholarship
dedicated to the social and historical study of Cork Opera House. Cork
Opera House has been a beloved part of Cork’s cultural landscape since
1855. Although it has undergone various transformations in the last 163
years, the Opera House remains a vibrant centre for community engagement
through theatre, music, opera, dance and art.

We welcome PhD project proposals from creative and thoughtful
musicologists, ethnomusicologists, theatre or dance scholars, historians,
or scholars in related fields that focus on some aspect of the Cork Opera
House’s history and the role it has played in the Cork community from the
nineteenth century to present. We especially encourage applicants to think
about how they might make creative use of the wealth of archival materials
on the Opera House in the Cork City and County Archives.

Those interested should submit a 1500-word project proposal that includes:

1) The project’s aims and central research questions; 2) Your justification
for the project and how it connects to the socio-historical study of Cork
Opera House; 3) The methodologies you plan to use; and 4) A project
timeline. Please send your proposals, along with your CV and two letters of
recommendation to Aoife Murphy (Aoife.Murphy -at- ucc.ie) by 30 April 2018.
The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. Jillian Rogers and
registered in UCC’s Department of Music.

For additional information, please visit UCC’s School of Music and Theatre
website (https://www.ucc.ie/en/music-theatre/), or contact Dr. Jillian
Rogers (jillian.rogers -at- ucc.ie) or Professor Jools Gilson (jgilson -at-
ucc.ie) with specific inquiries.