France: Musiques, Cultures, 1789–1918 (FMC): Biennial Conference, 6–7 July
2018, Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris

The FMC International Steering Committee proposes to broaden the scope of
the network and its future research.  It intends going beyond the
documentation, investigation and analysis of the press, to engage with all
aspects of music in France in the long nineteenth century.  This will
encompass music in the theatre, instrumental, military and ecclesiastical
compositions, as well as historiography, pedagogy and theory. The Paris
meeting will become biennial (in even years), and will alternate with a
meeting in the USA before AMS (in odd years).  In addition the end point of
the focus of our investigations has been pushed to 1918. To reflect these
changes, the network retains the FMC acronym but which from now on will
stand for ‘France: Musiques, Cultures, 1789-1918’

This is a call for papers, therefore, for our biennial Paris meeting in
July 2018.

In order to demonstrate our continued commitment to the press, Olivier Bara
will deliver the keynote address ‘Par delà la relation critique: presse,
musique et “civilisation du journal”’. Another session will be devoted to
‘Musiques et pratiques religieuses’.

15-minute papers are invited on any complementary subject that falls under
the widened remit of the network, and abstracts of 250 words should be sent
to Clair Rowden: rowdencs -at- cardiff.ac.uk -- by 1 April 2018.

For more information, please visit our website: http://www.fmc.ac.uk/