DISCO! An Interdisciplinary Conference

Deadline: 2 March 2018
21-23 June 2018
University of Sussex

From its origins as a New York City subculture amongst gay, black and
Latino/Latina practitioners, and its transition into the mainstream, to its
subsequent lives across international scenes, disco poses pivotal questions
about the entanglements of art, industry, identity, and community. Disco is
the site of many significant and lasting debates in popular culture,
including those surrounding the figures of the DJ and the diva, the status
and significance of dancing bodies, the tension between what is authentic
and what is synthetic, and the historic maligning of society’s others.

This major interdisciplinary international conference aims to examine and
expand these debates. We therefore invite researchers from a range of
academic backgrounds to re/consider disco cultures in their shifting
historic and social contexts. We hope to explore disco as a tentacular
phenomenon that reaches across multiple sites of production and
consumption, from music and dance to fashion and film.

Keynote Presentations by:

Melissa Blanco Borelli (Royal Holloway, University of London)
Tim Lawrence (University of East London)

We welcome proposals for conference papers of 20 minutes but also for
pre-formed panels, roundtable discussions, or formats that allow for the
presentation of praxis (installations, lecture performances, for instance).

Please send a 300-word abstract, along with a short biography and
indication of the format of your proposed presentation to: disco -at-
sussex.ac.uk by 2 March 2018.

https://disco88411676.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/discosussex

Organisers:

Mimi Haddon (Lecturer in Music, School of Media, Film and Music)
Michael Lawrence (Reader in Film Studies, School of Media, Film and Music)
Arabella Stanger (Lecturer in Drama: Theatre and Performance, School of
English)