I'm with you, Deb...
Even if someone inquires about a "ballpark" figure, I send what could be
signed as a Letter of Agreement. It's a 10-14 point description so there
can be no doubt of expectations. Sometimes the hours and amount are
negotiated, of course, but they know up front what the copyright status
they are getting, usage and other necessary points.
They may scream when they get the email, but most don't, because I just
saved them the trouble of writing a contract!

Cheers,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
520.803.0538