Forwarded from a professor in our department!

For those of you who don’t read Science, you may be interested in the website.  http://tropicos.org/Project/VPA

“The Vascular Plants of the Americas (VPA) website contains the first integrated assessment of all known native species of vascular plants in the New World. It includes 124,993 species in 6,227 genera, and 355 families. The species number corresponds to 33% of the 383,671 vascular plant species known globally.”

It includes interesting taxonomic updates… for example… florist chrysanthemum is no longer Dendrathema (which I thought but…) is back to Chrysanthemum morifolium.

It also connects you with the NY Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium and other sites (little colored icons next to the Genus and Species after you search).

It is an ongoing project and the pdf of the original Science article can be found at the bottom of the home page.

Check it out!