At the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology Insect Division, the
college currently funds 2 faculty curators, a collection manager and a
graduate student curatorial assistant as hard line items in the budget.
Curators are full time faculty in the department of Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology but have a 75% teaching "load" compared with 100% for
non-curators in the department, so we basically get one term out of four
with no teaching. Curatorial duties are of course spread out throughout the
year, but that's the college/department way of funding curatorial
positions. Curatorial positions are not tied to specific collections like
they were when the museum was a separate entity. When I retire at the end
of this year, my position will return to the college and there will be only
one curator. All EEB faculty hires can be offered curatorial positions if
the background and interest of the individual warrants it. Other student
assistants are paid from our insect division endowment or from grants.
Hope this helps! - Barry

--
-So many mites, so little time!

Barry M. OConnor
Professor  & Curator
University of Michigan                  phone: 734-763-4354
1109 Geddes Ave.                          fax: 734-763-4080
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079          e-mail: [log in to unmask]