At the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology Insect Division, the college currently funds 2 faculty curators, a collection manager and a graduate student curatorial assistant as hard line items in the budget. Curators are full time faculty in the department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology but have a 75% teaching "load" compared with 100% for non-curators in the department, so we basically get one term out of four with no teaching. Curatorial duties are of course spread out throughout the year, but that's the college/department way of funding curatorial positions. Curatorial positions are not tied to specific collections like they were when the museum was a separate entity. When I retire at the end of this year, my position will return to the college and there will be only one curator. All EEB faculty hires can be offered curatorial positions if the background and interest of the individual warrants it. Other student assistants are paid from our insect division endowment or from grants.
Hope this helps! - Barry