If you are licensing them “full rights” (i.e., an unlimited use license) or if you are transferring ownership of the copyright, then they are getting much more than just the right to use it on the web. They would also be getting the rights to use the work in print, on t-shirts and coffee mugs, and any other imaginable use. In this case, a large multiplier would be in order.

If they really only plan to use the work on their website then there’s really no need for them to license unlimited rights or buy the full copyright. You could simply license them that specific right to use it on their webpage (for a limited timeframe, in perpetuity, or whatever you choose). The multiplier in this case would depend on the duration of the license.

Clients often think that they need to own the full copyright to an image when all they really need is some specific usage rights.

Jim

James A. Perkins, MFA, CMI, FAMI
Board Certified Medical Illustrator
Fellow, Association of Medical Illustrators

Professor and Graduate Director
Medical Illustration
Rochester Institute of Technology
CBET 75-2129