I back up everything to an external drive as well as to Crashplan. I lost a drive very suddenly a few months ago and was VERY glad I had backed up - I got everything back through Crashplan.

Crashplan is changing its focus from individuals to businesses, so I'm not sure what the fees will be in the future. I intend to stay with the business option if possible.