It sounds like a scam

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018, 10:51 PM Daisy Chung <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi friends!
I have recently been contacted by someone named Sergio Robert who is interested in purchasing my work for his wife's 20th anniversary...though he agreed to send me a check before having shipping agent come to make pick up arrangement ...there seems to be something strange about his email (see below ) ..
I have been trying to have a phone call with him but have not heard back. Has anyone been contacted by Robert before ? and does anyone see any potential red flags in his emails ? any advice would be awesome :)

THANK YOU!

Daisy

email 1 )

sergio robert <[log in to unmask]>

Mar 24 (5 days ago)
Hello There,

My name is Sergio robert from Washington DC. I have been on the lookout for some artworks lately in regards to I and my wife's anniversary  which is just around the corner. I stormed on some of your works which i found quite impressive and intriguing. I must admit your doing quite an impressive job. You are undoubtedly good at what you do.

With that being said, I would like to purchase some of your works as a surprise gift to my wife in honor of our upcoming wedding anniversary. It would be of help if you could send some pictures of your piece of works, with their respective prices and sizes, which are ready for immediate (or close to immediate) sales. My budget for this is within the price range of $500 to $5000.

I look forward to reading from you in a view to knowing more about your pieces of inventory. As a matter of importance, I would also like to know if you accept check as a means of payment.

Regards,
Robert.

email 2)
Hello Daisy,Thanks for the message, I must tell you I intend to give my wife a surprise with the immediate purchase of the piece (
  • Tentacles (21"X26" including frame): $2,500
) If you'd like to know, I'm relocating to the Philippines soon and our wedding anniversary is fast approaching. So I'm trying to gather some good stuff to make this event a surprise. Kindly email me the asking price asap.

As regarding payment,  I would like to inform you, that my wife handles the family credit card/bank  and Paypal transaction. So i would authorize a check to you for the payment as soon as i have your full name and contact address (preferably for FedEx delivery no P.O box). Also, as soon as you receive the check and it clears your bank, my shipping agent who is also moving my personal effect will contact you to arrange shipping/pick up of the piece from you (this is to avoid my wife receiving it, if been shipped directly to my address which would ruin the surprise for this event). You both have to sign a proof of pick up at the most.

Have a Positive Day!