I'm adding my voice too, as I've received quite a few of these. The latest, which has repeated about 5x, is along the lines of "I just happened to observe my wife looking at your web site on her laptop, and I know she loves your art, so I'd like to purchase a piece for her upcoming birthday." Usually I'm asked for a catalog of my art, with no specific painting mentioned. Though the last time a title of one piece was given, so this individual seems to be learning that it sounds more legitimate to specify a work of art. Still, it all comes down to "I'll send you a check, take out the part for your painting and send back the extra, and I'll have my shipper pick it up." There's always a rush, and if you do this, you'll find out the check was fraudulent after you've sent both money and art. Then your bank hits you up for the funds.

There have been times in the past that I've been unsure whether an inquiry was legitimate or a scam (given the brevity of the message), and when I've been in doubt I would respond briefly, asking for more info. The lay of the land becomes clear very fast! And there have been a couple of occasions when I thought an inquiry was a scammer and it turned out to be a real person and I made a sale. This said, I usually can spot the scam at this point and just hit "delete."

Most of these messages come via my contact form on my painting website, which is hosted by artspan.com. Artspan has a few hundred (maybe even a few thousand?) artists on their site, which makes it easy for scammers to approach a lot of them without much work on their part.

Lynette