​​I haven’t spent hard time looking into this, but my conception is that a
company was born that was called AutoMontage that sold a system that
created “focus stacked” photos.

Now, like kleenex and google, it seems that the company name “AutoMontage”
has become “automontage”, a noun, verb, adjective, etc. for any focus
stacked image.  I’m guilty of this when I speak to colleagues and the
common man.

How do we deal with this? Do we accept it and move on? (Fine by me.) Do we
have a better name for the process? And how does this all sound when
written out?

The issue I have now is “comparison with automontage images of an
authoritatively identified specimen”.

Several possible solutions:
“comparison with automontaged images”
“comparison with automontage-images”
“comparison with focus stacked images created using a(an) XXXX system"
(where XXXX is the official name of the system used)

Any ideas?



Michael L. Ferro
Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC)
Dept. of Plant and Environmental Sciences
MAIL: 277 Poole Agricultural Center
OFFICE: 307 Long Hall
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310
[log in to unmask] (preferred)
[log in to unmask]
Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi