Hello everyone,

I am working on an etching of a black swallowtail butterfly based on some photos I took
and I needed more detailed information than my photos reveal. I just wanted to get
the parts right even though that is not the main focus of the work--although I suppose
it always should be! My  butterfly is on his back with his legs sort of mangled—poor thing.

Can someone recommend a good reference for butterfly morphology—either a book
or a website? I have some general invertebrate books here and have looked up some things on line, but many
illustrations I have seen are more diagrammatic—almost like a coloring book! I was hoping
to find a nice, accurate and detailed illustration.

Thanks to everyone in advance. This list is always so helpful.

Take care,
Wendy

Wendy Beth Jackelow, MFA, CM, FAMI
Medical & Scientific Illustration

266 Pelton Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10310
Tel/fax (718) 273-0002
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.wbjackelowstudios.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=7VmLeDE8pRD9jrx0LqCs_CL7JowjV3yycuk_6c29lXQ&s=LmLu6ZJ0ae3fkHwRtJ4Aqbj0jhX6G09OP7qyuZyc6t8&e=