Hi Clara,

I upgraded from MacOS High Siena 10-13-3 to 10.13.4 and my licensed copies of Photoshop CS5.1 and Photoshop CS6 ceased to function properly. (This was an automatic update.  I have since deactivated that auto update function in the operating system).   After that update, I couldn’t process RAW files.   I had never joined the Adobe Creative Cloud since I saw no compelling reason for paying another Adobe Photoshop license.  Fortunately, by trial and error I discovered that by using my regular, old Adobe ID, I could formally join “Adobe Creative Commons” and all of a sudden I had access to the specific upgrade for my licensed CS6 (resident on my local computer), that allowed me to resume processing RAW files.  The upgrade per se is free.  Fortunately, everything now works.

However, I simultaneously received a notice from Apple saying that all future upgrades in the MacOS will require the the developers (in this case Adobe), to write some other modification that will be compatible with a newer 64-bit Apple processing environment.  (I believe everything I run on my Macs have been 32-bit for years).   I frankly don’t know what the difference is, but I made sure I now have automatic upgrades on my MacOS turned off.  The last thing I want to deal with is the mess that occurred when the High Sierra “minor” upgrade went from 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 and Photoshop went off the rails.  Hoping that Adobe would continue to write any further modifications to keep older, licensed, non-Cloud versions of Photoshop compatible with the future all 64-bit Mac environment may be a pipe dream.

I don’t use iPhotos, but I do major backups on external drives, monthly DVDs, and iCloud. But my experience with keeping CS6 running might be of importance to you in your situation and to others who had struggled with the issue of when to “give up” and purchase subscriptions to Photoshop CC.

Cheers,
Mike Rothman