Linda,

I run into this occasionally with my wi-fi connected Epson multi-function printer at home. And my
wife has to actually switch wi-fi connections to print. It is all very mysterious. I think these
printer tend to go to sleep and then take a while to wake up. Instead of turning it off, try just
selecting some options on the printer and see if the communications return.

I think the Mac printer cues also are not rechecking the printer situation automatically once they
get no reply from the printer. I suspect it is all in service of minimizing power usage over
"always-on" convenience.

Britt