Linda,

I run into this occasionally with my wi-fi connected Epson multi-function printer at home. And my wife has to actually switch wi-fi connections to print. It is all very mysterious. I think these printer tend to go to sleep and then take a while to wake up. Instead of turning it off, try just selecting some options on the printer and see if the communications return.

I think the Mac printer cues also are not rechecking the printer situation automatically once they get no reply from the printer.  I suspect it is all in service of minimizing power usage over "always-on" convenience.

Britt