Dear Entomologists,

Thank you for your patience as we plan the 2018 Annual Meeting. We have a new crop of board members this year who are slowly learning the ropes.

This year’s meeting will be a 1.5 day format Saturday, November 10 - Sunday, November 11 at the Vancouver Convention Centre in Vancouver, Canada! Registration costs will be the same as last year. Early-bird registration is $80 for regular members and $40 for student members. Onsite registration will be $160 for regular members and $80 for student members so we strongly encourage members to register early rather than onsite as it helps us with planning for seating, catering, etc. Online registration for the meeting will open on May 1 and will close on October 31.

For those interested, we are also planning a Behind-the-Scenes tour to visit the collection at the University of British Columbia. If interested, please indicate that when you register (there should be a checkbox). We are asking those interested in this tour option to pay an additional $5 to help defray costs for the bus and to reserve a spot on it. If it turns out that there is insufficient interest, we reserve the right to cancel the tour and will refund the $5 to all who have paid it.

Gene Hall and Chris Grinter are the program co-chairs for this year’s meeting. At the moment, we have one symposium that has been proposed with room for two additional 2-hour symposium blocks. Please contact the organizers below if you’d like to give a talk in their symposium or contact Gene and Chris ([log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]) if you’d like to organize a symposium.

In addition to the 3 member symposia, we are also planning to have 3 submitted talk sessions and a poster session. Posters should be put up no later than the mixer so that presenters can be available during the mixer. If you would like to give a talk or present a poster at the meeting this year, please email Gene ([log in to unmask]) with a title, brief abstract, and list of authors by July 1. Symposium organizers—your completed list of speakers, titles, and abstracts should be sent to Gene and Chris as soon as possible, but no later than July 1 2018.

We’ve heard your concerns about the program details being made public too late for people to decide if they are going to attend. In an attempt to address those concerns, the draft program will be made viewable in PDF format on the ECN website beginning mid-May and will be updated bi-weekly throughout the talk/poster submission period. The final draft of the program will be available in PDF format by July 6, again on the ECN website. Talks should be prepared using MS PowerPoint (or similar software) and are generally 12-15 minutes in length, including time for questions. Posters should follow ESA size guidelines (46” x 46” max dimensions).

Please continue checking the ECN website (http://ecnweb.org/) periodically for the most up to date information. Any further major announcements will come through the email distribution list and via our social media platforms:

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/148208995368404/) and

Twitter (@EntCollNtwrk).

Thanks so much and we look forward to seeing you all in November!

Cheers,

ECN Officers (2017-2018)

Gene Hall
University of Arizona Insect Collection (Manager)
& CALS Cooperative Extension (Insect Diagnostics)
Department of Entomology
1140 E. South Campus Dr.
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ  85721