Julie,
I would interpret the 4.0 license as you have - that anyone could use and/or change your illustrations w/out w/out compensating you.
One option might be for you to increase your fee to what you would charge if you were handing over the copyright.

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario