The language we use to allow copying of images and illustrations belonging
to the NMHM, a federal museum, covers everything from illustrations done
for the military in the civil war to illustrations I made last week.  They
can do what they like, all we ask that the museum's specific credit line be
there.  We will get shirty about things if a company keeps asking us for
images then doesn't put the credits in.  It doesn't have to be on the same
page but it does need to be somewhere in the publication.

"I/we understand that the majority of materials in the Otis Historical
Archives are in the public domain and are therefore not subject to
copyright restrictions.  ......  The Otis Historical Archives makes
material available to patrons under the protection of fair use. "

James is right, there is a push in the granting agencies that work paid for
with federal dollars be available to the public.  So if you are not going
to be able to keep the rights then change accordingly.

Elizabeth C. Lockett

Collection Manager

Human Developmental Anatomy Center

National Museum of Health and Medicine

2500 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910

301-319-3321