We have used the Rose Entomology sorting trays for years, they are great.  Now sold by Bioquip apparently, as sadly John Rose has passed away:

https://roseentomology.com/product/specimen-sorting-tray/

Big petri dishes probably still work better for really big stuff, but for little things (which are the best anyway), these trays are superb.  The ridges are just right for sorting under a dissecting scope.

Jim Woolley
Professor Emeritus
Department of Entomology
Heep Center MS 2475