Luciana Musetti wrote:
"Hello ECNers,
  We have a number of well-preserved Lane cabinets that need the
sealing along the doors replaced. Does anyone have experience with
this? Any warnings or recommendations?
Thanks,
--Luciana"

I replaced the decomposing gaskets from some well-preserved Lane
Cabinets a few years ago. I took the advice from several members of
this group and I'm very satisfied with the results. I took the
cabinets outdoors because of the dust I was going to create. With the
cabinets lying on sawhorses on their backs, I used wire brushes on an
electric drill to grind away all of the old gasket and remnants of
glue down to bare metal. I went to Home Depot and purchased some
rubber gasket material with self-sealing back. I purchased the gasket
material that is a double D profile. I placed a thin layer of gorilla
glue on the bare-metal to which I laid down the rubber gasket (I made
sure I removed the protective paper strip from the rubber gasket
material.) The rubber gasket does not come in perfect lengths, so I
made sure that each length of doorjamb had no joints in the gasket,
and there was some waste. I carefully cut the corners of the gasket to
45 angles, and when all is said and done they went together
beautifully. It is a 2 person job. I laid the doors on the open
cabinets while the cabinets were still on their backs. With the
cabinets on their backs, I slid the doors onto the hinges. I locked
the doors in place so that the weight of the door along with the
pressure of the lock would seal the gasket and glue in place. After a
couple days (remember it never went rains in New Mexico) I moved the
cabinets back inside. The cabinets have been in my bug room now for
4-5 years and I'm very satisfied with the results. Because it does
rain in Ohio from time to time I think you can do this in the overhang
where trailers are backed into the loading dock.

Good luck, and please say "Hi" to everybody in Columbus, Ohio for me.
Of course they will have no idea what you're talking about they will
just give you crazy looks.

Cheers from sunny and hot southern New Mexico where the skies are not
cloudy all day.

Eric

Eric H. Metzler