Hi Guy,

Thanks for sharing this inquiry.  While the jury is still out on this one
(Ann Romines found such a cranberry glass pitcher listed in a catalogue of
Pittsburgh glass products), we had fun at last year's Pittsburgh
International Cather Seminar speculating that the joke had something to do
with red lemonade--the color of the beverage within rather than the
container.  Red or pink lemonade has a variety of origin stories (Wikipedia
is a good place to start), but it was tinted with cochineal--those beetle
shells used to make striped candy--and was associated with carnivals and
the faintly illicit behavior of the midway (not quite prostitution).
Country children, and even suburban cousins in Pittsburgh's East End
neighborhoods, would experience red lemonade when the circus came to town.
 Here's the caption from part of our tour of Cather's Allegheny City.  I
think Cather may have got the germ of that scene from "Paul's Case" as
early as June 1896, her first trip to meet the Gerwigs:

The day of Cather’s arrival, Friday, June 26, 1896, the students of the
Allegheny City public schools celebrated the end of the school year with a
Children’s Jubilee.  The city parks, especially East Park along Cedar
Avenue, were filled with eight to ten thousand children, parents, and
teachers, and the rule against playing on the grass was suspended for the
day.  Copenhagen, a traditional kissing game, was tolerated, but street
vendors selling red lemonade were outlawed.  In “Paul’s Case,” Paul’s
sisters serve lemonade to the neighbors from a cranberry glass pitcher like
the one shown, owned by Dawn Uzdale [present owner of the Gerwig House on
Cedar Avenue].  Paul’s neighbors joke about the “suspicious color” of the
beverage because red lemonade was associated with circuses.  Origin stories
abound for pink and red lemonade, but one holds that it was invented in
nearby Bethlehem, PA, by Civil War veteran Levi F. Walter, who added
cochineal to the summer drink and afterward made his fortune in circus
concessions.

  The newspapers speculated that the local candy proprietors wanted a ban
on sidewalk sales.  The city authorities provided ample icewater rather
than red lemonade.
This is just one theory, but an entertaining one.  So the suggestion in
"Paul's Case" isn't that the red pitcher disguises alcoholic beverage, as I
once thought, but that Paul's sisters are providing a treat that reminds
the neighbors of a trip to the circus, which we also see in "The
Sentimentality of William Tavener."

I can send a pdf of the Allegheny City tour booklet in case you would want
to forward it to Professor Shou and her students.

Best, Tim