Hi Jennifer,

Are you more often than not scanning items that are larger than a letter-sized scan bed? If so, you may save money in time (piecing many things together digitally) by investing in a large format scanner. The price jump feels huge at purchase, but being able to scan tabloid items in one go (and benefiting from the heightened quality of the scan from a product at this level) can be totally worth it in the long run.

I used to be very happy with a slim desktop Canon scanner - when $100-200 was my price-point - however, a large commission (that also required large scans) enabled me to upgrade to an Epson Expression XL and boy do I love that thing. I rarely work larger than tabloid but often need larger than letter-sized - the real bonus for me is the extremely high quality of the scans, requiring very little in the way of color adjustment if you get your settings dialed in.

Just a thought!

-Natalya

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 6:47 AM, Jennifer Landin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi friends
> My beloved HP Scanjet4670 See-thru Vertical scanner has no drivers for any recent OS (and the old computer I was keeping just for scanning is dying). What I loved about that scanner: the scanning bed was clear and removable so I could scan large pieces by moving the scanner on the painting, then piecing the scans together in PS.
> Looks like HP has not made any similar scanners so I'm looking at the Epson Perfection V39. But thought I'd ask my GNSI friends before making a purchase.
> Any suggestions? How do you digitize large pieces?
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Jennifer Landin, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Teaching
> Department of Biological Sciences
> 116 David Clark Labs
> NC State University
> Box 7617, Raleigh NC 27695
> 919-513-0241
> www4.ncsu.edu/~jmlandin

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gnsi.org_resources_reviews_gnsi-2Dsciart-2Dl-2Dlistserv&d=DwIFAg&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=zXFBsvga9fbfNluty3k7srvptSDpy2z3Q0oLwKS87H0&s=ziw7ROqf8d9RLqXlwDtB9tqZNfvv0ysopv9v8QJIcW8&e=

List name is Sciart-L