Jennifer,

Before buying a new scanner, you might see if VueScan has a version for your scanner. I believe the trial is free, so you can make sure it works before you buy. Another possibility is SilverFast, although it’s more expensive and rather complex (assuming you don’t use the automatic settings.

The only thing I’ve found with VueScan, is the scale setting is kind of odd. I found it’s easiest to increase resolution and leave the scale at 100%. Otherwise you end up with odd sizes. I like to scan 300% at 600 dpi. In VueScan, I would scan at 100% and 1800 dpi.

I have an Epson V700 Photo scanner which I like. I had EpsonScan (Epson’s scanning software) perfectly calibrated. I was disappointed to find the newer version does an awful job with color. Everything shifts towards green. Yes adjustments can be made both before (in EpsonScan) and after (in Photoshop) scanning, but I still wasn’t satisfied with the result. I did better with SilverFast, which has some nice calibration features.

My work is small, so I don’t have the additional challenge of working with large pieces.

Best of luck,