Hi Marni,
I'm sorry to hear this has happened. As much as we try to educate our clients, sometimes they do silly stuff.

Two things I'd do:

1. Do you have a written contract, or letter of agreement, or email, that says you require credit in any use of the artwork? If you do, then you might include that in your "revelation" to them that you notice these things, and it was part of the agreement. Even emails are agreements.

2. I like your idea of a professional letter to inform or educate them. It's a good approach for many solutions.
Emily Damstra's article "How Art/Design Competitions Exploit Artists - and what you can do about it"
(for the GNSI Journal and posted on the website (link below) might give you some ideas on how to create the verbiage of your letter. It covers a lot of situations, but it is an excellent read.

https://gnsi.org/journal/how-artdesign-competitions-exploit-artists-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

I hope things work out for you,
(keep us posted)
Best,