Tammy,
Generally speaking, when one commissions an illustration in a situation
like you've described, one is licensing the image for the stated purpose,
not owning it (or the original artwork) outright. However, two parties can
come up with any arrangement they want so it all depends on the language in
your contract. Every situation is unique. Do you have a contract with the
illustrator?
---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario
emilydamstra.com
@EmilyDamstra

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Tammy Cloutier <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I am not a natural science illustrator (although I hope to collaborate
> with one for my PhD work), but am hoping for feedback from this
> professional community. I think I may have seen previous posts that relate
> to my question, so searched the archives, but didn't see the answer.
> However, my apologies if I overlooked it!
>
> My question...I wrote a children's book that relates to my PhD work, which
> was published last year, and worked with a local illustrator in Maine. I
> paid the illustrator for his work, but he unfortunately passed away shortly
> before the book was published.
>
> I am interested in obtaining at least 1 or 2 of the original
> illustrations, but have not received a response from his surviving partner
> or the small publisher I used. As illustrators, can you please tell me if
> you would own the rights to these illustrations, or would I have access to
> them since I commissioned them for my own project?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

> instructions at
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gnsi.org_resources_reviews_gnsi-2Dsciart-2Dl-2Dlistserv&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=4E6k5MO6nIg9DqeqgaLIv6JtPnCSFncJFyMYefqNy7g&s=qxmimtLTdq-oSsnFBByIDwYveQb_o7CkMqLRBTILUsg&e=

List name is Sciart-L