Tammy,
Generally speaking, when one commissions an illustration in a situation like you've described, one is licensing the image for the stated purpose, not owning it (or the original artwork) outright. However, two parties can come up with any arrangement they want so it all depends on the language in your contract. Every situation is unique. Do you have a contract with the illustrator?
---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario