Hi Tammy.

Quick answer: unless otherwise noted in a contract, the copyright to artwork remains with the illustrator.

Marjorie Leggitt

Leggitt Design
303-394-0566
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.science-2Dart.com_leggitt&d=DwIFAg&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=SlmxfkCQYPSg5a_on_buqP5ngtYVPgNMT4xmNH43ZXc&s=ayIwKBU8DZJ2Dr82rEZAc3B-RoCWe0JTuoXgK1z8CpM&e=

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 7:28 AM, Tammy Cloutier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hello all!
>
> I am not a natural science illustrator (although I hope to collaborate with one for my PhD work), but am hoping for feedback from this professional community. I think I may have seen previous posts that relate to my question, so searched the archives, but didn't see the answer. However, my apologies if I overlooked it!
>
> My question...I wrote a children's book that relates to my PhD work, which was published last year, and worked with a local illustrator in Maine. I paid the illustrator for his work, but he unfortunately passed away shortly before the book was published.
>
> I am interested in obtaining at least 1 or 2 of the original illustrations, but have not received a response from his surviving partner or the small publisher I used. As illustrators, can you please tell me if you would own the rights to these illustrations, or would I have access to them since I commissioned them for my own project?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gnsi.org_resources_reviews_gnsi-2Dsciart-2Dl-2Dlistserv&d=DwIFAg&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=SlmxfkCQYPSg5a_on_buqP5ngtYVPgNMT4xmNH43ZXc&s=ZpNkTd8_Fe05XVKdwiYzJbJm-hzKArncO-yqNfPaZmw&e=

List name is Sciart-L