Hi Tammy.

Quick answer: unless otherwise noted in a contract, the copyright to artwork remains with the illustrator.

Marjorie Leggitt

Leggitt Design
303-394-0566
https://www.science-art.com/leggitt

On Jun 26, 2018, at 7:28 AM, Tammy Cloutier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello all!

I am not a natural science illustrator (although I hope to collaborate with one for my PhD work), but am hoping for feedback from this professional community. I think I may have seen previous posts that relate to my question, so searched the archives, but didn't see the answer. However, my apologies if I overlooked it!

My question...I wrote a children's book that relates to my PhD work, which was published last year, and worked with a local illustrator in Maine. I paid the illustrator for his work, but he unfortunately passed away shortly before the book was published.

I am interested in obtaining at least 1 or 2 of the original illustrations, but have not received a response from his surviving partner or the small publisher I used. As illustrators, can you please tell me if you would own the rights to these illustrations, or would I have access to them since I commissioned them for my own project?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!