For those of you with a good SLR camera there is an alternative to scanning for some purposes.

We have used a superseded Canon 5DMkII camera, a superseded camera lift (but you can use a good copy-stand) the room lights and Capture One software (for which we had a spare “seat”).

The camera is tethered to the computer and controlled through Capture One.

We make the settings “copy from previous”, line up the document and a QP101 neutral grey calibration strip. We get the focus and exposure right and click on the QP 101 grey to get the colour balance right.

Then we take the document away and photograph a piece of light, neutral grey card.

We then create a Lens Cast Calibration (LCC) in Capture One and apply that to subsequent photographs.

We get beautiful colour balance and perfect, even lighting from standard public service fluro lights off to one side.

Distortion will depend on the lens you use but Capture One does tend to correct for that too. We use a 35mm or a 50mm macro.

We’ve done over 20,000 documents and are currently adjusting a beautiful John Gilbert manuscript notebook.

Cheers,

Geoff