Hello Scarab Workers,

The California Department of Food and Agriculture is starting a project on pathway analysis for Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica) from eastern North America into California.  Right now, we're contacting potential collaborators that might be willing to collect 1-2 fresh JB specimens from their area (or multiple areas in their region) and ship them here.

We're trying to get comprehensive geographic coverage of North America as well as other regions (Europe, Asia, etc.) known to have JB infestations or native populations.  We're seeking to develop a "reference library" of specimens for stable isotope work and population genetic analysis.  We are also interested in obtaining specimens of other Popillia species to help develop baseline data for the JB project.

We will reimburse you for the shipping cost, and just ask that you use UPS (we'll provide code) as the carrier and ship the sample in a plastic vial(s) within a padded envelope.  Killing the specimens in ethanol is preferred, and then they can be sent in a vial with a cotton ball saturated in 95%EtOH.  We'll transfer the specimens to fresh 100% EtOH once they arrive here.  Also, please include collecting information as well.  Specimens can be shipped in propylene glycol if that is available.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew R. Cline, Ph.D.
Senior Environmental Scientist - Supervisor
Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
3294 Meadowview Rd.
Sacramento, CA 95832
Phone: 916-738-6672
Web: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cdfa.ca.gov_plant_PPD_staff_acline.html&d=DwIFAg&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=0dKKCbLpmQdJFjZyUmOJ0zynkd3L5iKZhe8uuB-rQwE&m=23g8X7B9sTqKVrSmAB4_SY9IWZKNEkZbAxQAtOVRa_8&s=RtZdlvUGgN2YIVHAnGPs8p_jILP_ExBPo6GwUo8EYFw&e=