Hello again,

It appears I was not clear in my previous e-mail. I was TOLD a beetle did damage on coconut palms, but I was SHOWN a photo of the responsible beetle, which I immediately recognized as some Phileurini. Strategus aloeus and Rhynchophorus palmarum are well known by the people informing me, and they were also telling about those.

I've never before heard of Phileurini damaging palms, and if this is indeed a novelty, I may be able to travel to the place where they were found and possibly make some photos and collect specimens. They told me they had to visit the place again before long. Going there would cost me a day, some planning and possibly money, so it has to be worthwhile.

Cheers, Auke