In addition to the aromatic theory, I know that at one time in Czech communities, brides and grooms would wear sprigs of rosemary on their wedding day. I have family photos from the 1960s that still do this.   I’ve been told it’s a symbol of honoring ancestors. It’s probably a very old folk idea that is pretty wide spread.  Remember Ophelia, “Rosemary, that’s for remembrance.”

Evelyn

--

Evelyn I. Funda, Professor

Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, CHaSS

Director of the Mountain West Center

Utah State University

0700 Old Main Hill

Logan UT 84322-0700