 Here is a positive item for institutionalists to think about. It is an upbeat reminder that nstitutionalist research continues on a broad front. Have a nice summer.
--BillWilliam M. DuggerProfessor of Economics

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Union for Radical Politcal Economics via URPE-Announcements <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 9:55 AM
 Subject: [URPE] 2018 URPE Dissertation Fellow

July 13,2018TheSteering Committee of the Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE) ispleased to announce that the 2018 URPE Dissertation Fellow is Samantha E.Sterba, Ph.D. candidate, Department of Economics, University of MassachusettsAmherst.  Ms. Sterba is awarded thisFellowship and $5,000 (USD) in support of her dissertation “NeoliberalCapitalism and the Evolution of the U.S. Healthcare Sector.”  Her dissertation is being supervised by Dr.David M. Kotz (Committee Chair, University of Massachusetts Amherst) and Dr.Peter Spiegler (University of Massachusetts Amherst).Ms. Sterba’sdissertation uses social structure of accumulation (SSA) theory to analyze theways in which neoliberal restructuring of US capitalism has affected theevolution of key parts of the US health care system, including thepharmaceutical industry, the health insurance industry, hospitals, and medicalcare provider institutions. The dissertation also undertakes case studies of threereform efforts: the passage of Medicare/Medicaid in 1965, the failed ClintonHealth Security Act of 1993-94, and the passage of the Affordable Care Act(Obamacare) in 2010. Ms. Sterba’s dissertation systematically connectsdevelopments in U.S. health care to the evolution of the institutional structuresof U.S. capitalism, and promises to contribute significantly to ourunderstanding of the political economy of health care.The URPE SteeringCommittee is pleased to award the 2018 URPE Dissertation Fellowship to SamanthaE. Sterba.  We also continue to be encouragedby the significant response the fellowship receives from doctoralstudents.  We received many excellentdissertation proposals and regret that we lack the resources to supportadditional students.  We are committed toour fundraising efforts in order to increase our support for doctoral studentsworking in radical political economics. There is significant unmet need, and we ask that members and supportersof URPE assist us in meeting this need through donations, which can be directedspecifically to support the dissertation fellowship initiative.InSolidarity,URPESteering Committee

This is the listserve of the Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE), an interdisciplinary association devoted to the study, development and application of radical political economic analysis to social problems. See www.urpe.org. It is a moderated, low volume listserve and any opinions expressed are those of the message’s author, not of URPE as an organization.

Please submit messages, exactly as you would like them to read, to:
Messages should be short and attachments cannot be included.