Hi all,

Does anyone know the history of glycerol / glycerin / glycerine use in entomology, for storing genitalia, etc.? I see references from the 1950s at least, some with additives like chloral hydrate and (yikes!) arsenic. Does anyone know how stable glycerol alone is over the long term? I heard anecdotally that there are specimens more than 100 years old that have been stored in glycerol. My impression is that these older specimens are mostly cuticle - the soft bits having been digested away with KOH. Would soft tissues preserve well in glycerol alone? Thanks for any help!

Also, thanks for your responses to the survey about adhesives. I have been researching different classes of adhesives and now have a manuscript to be shared shortly. The results will also be presented at the meeting in Vancouver. More soon ... but I should put at least this advise out there now: We really should stop using clear nail polish and Elmer's! They are NOT archival.

Andy Deans
Frost Entomological Museum
Penn State