FYI: the NMNH Lepidoptera larval collection used to be in Isopropyl with a small amount of glycerine "to keep the larvae soft."
 This policy changed when the collection was moved to the East Court and the entire collection was transferred to new vials and jars with 70% ethanol.

-----Original Message-----
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Furth, David
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: glycerol (and adhesive follow-up)

At Yale's Peabody Museum in the 1950s Charles Remington started adding a small (ca. 2%) of glycerine to all  specimen vials of ethanol (70%) to minimize desiccation damage - I witnessed that it worked.  I have used it in polyethylene genitalia/pin vials since 1972 with no visible damage or effects.
When I came to the Smithsonian Institution in 1994 Jonathan Coddington told me (I believe anecdotally) that glycerine had a long-term clearing effect on chitin, but I do not know if that is published anywhere.  However, also remember that glycerine is very hygroscopic.

Attached is part of a 2005 publication by our conservator (Cathy Hawks & Sturman) that may be of interest about testing glycerine for the acidic effects.

David G. Furth, Ph.D.
Emeritus Collections Manager & Research Associate Department of Entomology MRC 165, P.O. Box 37012 National Museum of Natural History Smithsonian Institution Washington, D. C. 20013-7012  USA
Phone: 202-633-0990
Fax: 202-786-2894
Email: [log in to unmask]