What is it about vial-stored genitalia that increases the likelihood of disassociated specimens vs permanent slide mounts. Is it simply that slides are labeled with the specimen info, while the vials must be kept on the pin with the label, or is there another aspect to this that I am missing?

I was thinking about how it was done during Tams time: open vials (maybe they had cotton at one time?) with cryptic labels that could fall out that were in a storage cabinet and not associated with the specimen in the collection.

PS: the advantage of moth genitalia on slides all mounted in the same position is that when I am conducting comparative research, I put one slide on top of the other (I can put up to 10+ slides on top  of each other made by my predecessors or me) and focus down and up with the dissecting scope to compare variation in specific characters intra- or inter- specifically or generically. My new dissections are usually kept in glycerine for 3 dimensional study until I am through with the research.

-----Original Message-----
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of AGR MI NRB Entomology Lab
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: glycerol (and adhesive follow-up)

Listers -

This is a very interesting discussion, and one that has a lot of relevance for our lab. Our collection is small and mostly devoted to limited series that we use frequently as reference specimens for identification services. We stopped making permanent slide mounts well before I began working here, instead making temporary mounts, photographing them, and then storing those genitalia in glass vials with neoprene stoppers on the same pin as the rest of the specimen.

Typically this serves our purposes well. We can use our digital library to efficiently compare several species simultaneously on one screen, and have the option to remount and re-photograph specimens if we find we didn’t quite capture the correct features.

This saves us time and money, and we have only one physical collection to manage (rather than a slide collection and a mounted specimen collection). My questions to the forum are:

What is it about vial-stored genitalia that increases the likelihood of disassociated specimens vs permanent slide mounts. Is it simply that slides are labeled with the specimen info, while the vials must be kept on the pin with the label, or is there another aspect to this that I am missing?

Has anyone heard about Euparal eventually resulting in overly cleared specimens? My predecessor maintained that he had heard this, and that some older specimens were so cleared that they could barely be seen. Is this real, or a misinterpretation of someone's anecdote? If real, was it a failure to properly clean the mount or does Euparal really clear specimens over time?

Thanks again for the scintillating discussion!

Chris

Chris Looney, PhD
Entomology Laboratory
Washington State Department of Agriculture
1111 Washington St. SE
Olympia, WA 98504
Desk: 360.902.2042
Lab: 360.902.2084