I've heard reports that glycerin will bind to chitin over time and can't be
washed off, creating a fuzzy/blurry appearance. I've noticed this when
trying to image dissections that were stored in glycerin that they appear
slightly out of focus. The team up at the CNC stores some dissections in
Lactic Acid. I'd imagine Lactic Acid or Ethanol would be suitable for
longer storage? It would be nice to have some comparative studies done...

Chris

Christopher C. Grinter

*Collections Manager of Entomology, The California Academy of
SciencesAssistant Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society*
*Program Co-Chair, Entomological Collections Network*
55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
office: 415-379-5320