I've heard reports that glycerin will bind to chitin over time and can't be washed off, creating a fuzzy/blurry appearance. I've noticed this when trying to image dissections that were stored in glycerin that they appear slightly out of focus. The team up at the CNC stores some dissections in Lactic Acid. I'd imagine Lactic Acid or Ethanol would be suitable for longer storage? It would be nice to have some comparative studies done...

Chris

Christopher C. Grinter
Collections Manager of Entomology, The California Academy of Sciences
Assistant Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society

Program Co-Chair, Entomological Collections Network
55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
office: 415-379-5320