The International Association for the Study of Popular Music-United States
chapter invites proposals for its 2019 conference. The meeting, which will
take place in New Orleans, Louisiana, March 7-10, 2019, will feature the
theme “Musical Cities: Music, Historiography, and Myth.” We welcome
proposals for individual papers and panels (up to four individuals) on any
aspect of popular music, especially proposals on the musical cultures of
New Orleans; music in and of the global and local South; and music and race
and resistance.

Subtopics might include

·  Cities, music, and race

·  Musical legends and apocrypha

·  Specific cities as places of musical genre origin

·  Space and place in music-making

·  New Orleans as a site of resistance, rebuilding, reconstruction, and
gentrification

·  Intersectionality in musical cultures

·  Music and historiography in the context of global and local Souths

·  Religion and spirituality in musical cultures

All presentations are limited to 20 minutes. Submit an abstract of no more
than 250 words no later than October 1, 2018. Individual abstracts should
identify the methodology used, state the paper’s goals, summarize the
context and argument of the paper, and include a brief conclusion. Panel
abstracts should include a 250 description of the panel’s rationale and
goals and a 250-word abstract for each individual participating in the
panel. Abstracts must be anonymous and not include the submitter’s identity
or references that could lead to the revealing of their identity; abstracts
not adhering to the word count will not be considered.

To submit, visit here <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_4WMTxn0DKCfRlDeY2&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=kuwbXUiCDh_Y4FMKu2j-vvA1yvQKpmPcJafKaBR0BE0&s=4l2YTEdI_va5I4r8CE-m0DaYb-QkJRdaDv01ZfJCMKM&e=>. Or, follow
the link on the IASPM-US website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__iaspm-2Dus.net_2019-2Dcfp&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=kuwbXUiCDh_Y4FMKu2j-vvA1yvQKpmPcJafKaBR0BE0&s=cArSiKgpACb-GuU2JTLDDWbbjqMOB09R-4hNsswXiC8&e=.