Jazz and Culture Volume 1, Issue 1, 2018

(Formerly International Jazz Archives Journal)

https://www.press.uillinois.edu/journals/jac.html

Articles

A Resistant Previousness

Fred Moten

“We Don’t Want to be Jazz-Jazz”: Afro-Modernism, Jazz, and Brass Band Music in Benin

Sarah Politz

This Ain’t A Hate Thing: Jeanne Lee and the Subversion of the Jazz Standard

Eric Lewis

"The Ace of his Race": Paul Whiteman’s Early Critical Reception in the Black Press

Christopher Wells

Oral History

“Rich Theory: Mandino Reinhardt on Jazz Manouche in Alsace”

 Interviewed by Siv Lie

Poetry

"Everything Old is New," "J-572 (431) I (1971)," and "Composition No. 152"

Chiyuma Elliot

Reviews

Rhythms of Race: Cuban Musicians and the Making of Latino New York City and Miami, 1940-1960, by Christina Abreu

Sarah Town

Flyboy 2: The Greg Tate Reader, by Greg Tate

Tamar Sella

Message To Our Folks: The Art Ensemble of Chicago, by Paul Steinbeck

Adam Zanolini

Erroll Garner: No One Can Hear You Read (DVD), dir. by Atticus Brady

William Bares