Conference: Performing Music History

Date:   May 9-11, 2019

Venue:   Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg

CfP Deadline: October 15, 2018

For further details see: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__uol.de_musikgeschi&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=QrdFXHIyOTw0igqv_8aTAiV7C-vg23ebIhjSw1GXpRo&s=4t6lDZKgWm12b0qpLQ7dzqx5tvq_zUfYnFo0JUy2QdY&e=
chte-auf-der-buehne/aktuelles/

Music history is a matter of research, it is a matter of novels, films,
comics or computer games. Also: Music history is subject matter to music
theater. Music theater deals with a broad spectrum of music history,
spanning from the medieval troubadours to the present creations of Pop,
Rock, Jazz and New Music. Furthermore, music history on stage is an
international phenomenon that can be found in Europe, as well as for
example the US, Japan or South America.

Initially, the conference will start out asking how historiographical music
theater tells its stories, using composition, interpretation, performance,
words or images. What distinguishes this inter-medial form of music
historiography? And how does it relate to music historiography in other
media? What narrative strategies and practices characterize music histories
on stage? How do elements of music theater (music, acting, dance, costume
and stage design etc.) construct conceptions of history and how does
the audience
experience this?

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__uol.de_musikgeschichte-2Dauf-2Dder-2Dbuehne_aktuelles_&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=QrdFXHIyOTw0igqv_8aTAiV7C-vg23ebIhjSw1GXpRo&s=9rmucU4whkSrQ5iqZVIQD7WOMn3gOepTppXoM9D1fRE&e=>

Please send us a proposal (max. 250 words) for a talk, including a short
biography no later than October 15, 2018 at Dr. Anna Langenbruch
(anna.langenbruch -at- uni-oldenburg.de). We will issue a reply until
November 2018.