The Falcon Banner has posted a new item, 'Playing with Fire at Horse and
Falcons -- Class Schedule
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__falconbanner.gladiusinfractus.com_2018_08_14_playing-2Dwith-2Dfire-2Dat-2Dhorse-2Dand-2Dfalcons-2Dclass-2Dschedule_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=HMuG7tl-bVEdqt-txqKN6pejKTIm0blUrdFOGfTmvlU&m=JEys3oay-fpf0vvcxhJTP-Wyxczt_aEeCnEnj2LktTY&s=oYxF64NxmSlxxbglKiFiMyvOcYPNfGxuluqwmEYl3E0&e=>'
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__falconbanner.gladiusinfractus.com_wp-2Dcontent_uploads_2017_07_Playing-2Dwith-2Dfire-2Dgraphic-2De1531248248267.jpg&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=HMuG7tl-bVEdqt-txqKN6pejKTIm0blUrdFOGfTmvlU&m=JEys3oay-fpf0vvcxhJTP-Wyxczt_aEeCnEnj2LktTY&s=Pd3BcRQRJJ959sHLILCoUFhgv7WMqHatDJff3dKxecc&e=>
Playing
with Fire at Horse and Falcons will be holding classes Saturday, September
1, 2018

*Note:* Most classes are hands on. Multiple cooking fires will be used.
They will be hot. Take appropriate precautions. No hanging sleeves, no
open-toed shoes, keep hair secured. Children under 18 must be accompanied
by an adult.

*Fires, other than those in the Laurel Holler oven and fire circle, must be
in above ground containers (Roman stoves, Viking a-frames, portable fire
pits or similar) and all fires must have an ABC fire extinguisher. *

*No classes are scheduled for Sunday, September 2, but informal cooking
sessions and discussions are encouraged. *

*8 am:  Meat and Egg Pies, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers*
We will discuss pies and hand pies in period. Weather permitting, we may
make pies/hand pies in the oven onsite to be donated to the Inn at lunch.
Of course these will need to be sampled by those attending to assure for
excellent quality! This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste
and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover
material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us.
2-hour class.

*9 am:  Hearth Cooking, Mèstra Giraude Benet*
Learn how to use a wood-burning fireplace hearth or outdoor fire. Class
participants will fry, roast, boil, stew, and bake, and also learn
important lessons on fire safety and caring for the hearth and cooking
implements to be used. Students will enjoy the fruits of their labors as
lunch. $5 donation requested to help cover the cost of foods to be cooked.
This is a hands-on class. (Please note: No one under the age of 18 without
a parent or guardian.) 3-hour class.

*9 am:  Pottage, THL Ysabel de la Oya*
We’ll make a pottage, creating it from period based on what a normal
pottage would have. 2-hour class.

*10 am:  Knife Sharpening, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora*
Class will teach you how to sharpen your knives and keep them sharp. It
will cover whetstones, oilstones, sandpaper and the use (and misuse) of
steels. Bring your knives. There should be time for some hands-on practice.
1-hour class.

*10 am:  Breads and Flatbreads, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers*
We will discuss bread in period and use a redacted period bread recipe
(Rastons) to make dough and bake it off in either the oven on site or a
small portable stoneware pizza oven. Weather permitting, we will also have
access to a fire pit to make some flatbreads. Come and make some bread This
is a hands-on class, you will make items to taste and share as a group. I
will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a
donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

*11 am:  Feeding Mobs, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora*
It’s not always a feast or an inn. Sometimes you just want to throw a giant
party, all night, for dirt cheap. Come learn how we did the Tor Tuesday
party the last two years running! 1-hour class.

*11 am: Foods for Fasting: Vegan Dishes in the Middle Ages, Mistress
Sibilla Swaine*
Think that plant-based diets are modern? Come learn about the abundant
medieval recipes that were developed for the multitude of religious fasting
days, and just how easy it is to modify recipes to suityour needs! For the
purposes of this class, fish will be excluded in the menu of fast approved
foods. 1-hour class.

*Noon to 1 pm:  Donation Lunch Inn*

*Noon:  Cooking in Clay Pots over Fire Pit/Fire Table/Oven: Making Baked
Apples and Apple Tarts, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers*
We will discuss how to use and clean your clay cooking pots. We will then
make our baked apples and depending on how long it takes our apples to
bake, we may be able to make apple tarts in the oven (if the weather
permits). This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste and share
as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material
fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

*1 pm:  Heat and Spices, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora*
There’s more to spices than just throwing them on top of something and
calling it done. Learn the differences of tinctures, decoctions, roasting
and frying spices. There will be samples. 1-hour class.

*2 pm:  Getting Started in Outdoor Cooking, The Honorable Lady Fiondel
Songspinner*
This class is specifically designed for those gentles who have not done a
great deal of outdoor cooking, or who have limited equipment and/or limited
funds for equipment purchases. We’ll look at easy ways to get started, menu
choices that serve many for not much, and period foods that are inexpensive
and relatively easy to make. 1-hour class.

*2 pm:  Making Fresh Cheese, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers*
We will discuss basic fresh cheese and how it differs from a hard/aged
cheese. During the class we will make both a loose fresh curd cheese
(spreadable) and a pressed fresh curd cheese. We will also experiment with
different ways to flavor cheeses and enjoy taste testing each other’s
cheesy creations. This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste
and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover
material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us.
1-hour class.

*3 pm:  Medieval Fire Starting, Mistress Lilian Bowyer*
Class will show you how to start a fire with flint and steel, how to catch
the spark and keep it going, and what materials to use. Class will also
look at many small stoves you can use when camping. 1-hour class.

*3 pm:  Yes Whey! Mistress Alianora des Almandiers*
Stay after the Fresh Cheese Class or join us independently for a chance to
discuss the different types of whey and their uses. Attendees will be able
to sample the whey from the previous Making Fresh Cheese class as well as
other whey-prepared items. This is a discussion/roundtable class where we
can share information and ideas. There will be a hand-out with some ideas
on how to utilize whey and I will leave plenty of room to take notes of
other ideas that are discussed. You will be able to taste/experience some
items that one can use whey for. If you’re an experienced cheesemaker
please come share your experience, experiments, and ideas with us too!
1-hour class.

*4 pm:  The Culture of Cooking, THL Ysabel de la Oya*
This class will look at the cultural, economic, legal, and scientific
reasons why people in the Middle Ages ate the way they did. 1-hour class.

*4 pm:  Noodley Goodness: Medieval Mac and Cheese, Mistress Alianora des
Almandiers*
Come learn how to make fresh egg noodles and then we will cook the noodles
and make Makerouns. It’s no coincidence that this class is happening at
about dinner time. Makerouns is a period redaction of Mac and Cheese from
the 14th Century English source Form of Cury. And yes, we will eat this
lovely dish when comes out of the oven. This is a hands-on class. You will
make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar
available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to
come and play with us. 2-hour class.

Mathurin Kerbusso, Pyrosteward
You may view the latest post at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__falconbanner.gladiusinfractus.com_2018_08_14_playing-2Dwith-2Dfire-2Dat-2Dhorse-2Dand-2Dfalcons-2Dclass-2Dschedule_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=HMuG7tl-bVEdqt-txqKN6pejKTIm0blUrdFOGfTmvlU&m=JEys3oay-fpf0vvcxhJTP-Wyxczt_aEeCnEnj2LktTY&s=oYxF64NxmSlxxbglKiFiMyvOcYPNfGxuluqwmEYl3E0&e=
You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates
are posted. Best regards, The Falcon Banner [log in to unmask]