The Falcon Banner has posted a new item, 'Playing with Fire at Horse and Falcons -- Class Schedule'

Playing with Fire at Horse and Falcons will be holding classes Saturday, September 1, 2018

Note: Most classes are hands on. Multiple cooking fires will be used. They will be hot. Take appropriate precautions. No hanging sleeves, no open-toed shoes, keep hair secured. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

Fires, other than those in the Laurel Holler oven and fire circle, must be in above ground containers (Roman stoves, Viking a-frames, portable fire pits or similar) and all fires must have an ABC fire extinguisher.

No classes are scheduled for Sunday, September 2, but informal cooking sessions and discussions are encouraged.

8 am:  Meat and Egg Pies, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
We will discuss pies and hand pies in period. Weather permitting, we may make pies/hand pies in the oven onsite to be donated to the Inn at lunch. Of course these will need to be sampled by those attending to assure for excellent quality! This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

9 am:  Hearth Cooking, Mèstra Giraude Benet
Learn how to use a wood-burning fireplace hearth or outdoor fire. Class participants will fry, roast, boil, stew, and bake, and also learn important lessons on fire safety and caring for the hearth and cooking implements to be used. Students will enjoy the fruits of their labors as lunch. $5 donation requested to help cover the cost of foods to be cooked. This is a hands-on class. (Please note: No one under the age of 18 without a parent or guardian.) 3-hour class.

9 am:  Pottage, THL Ysabel de la Oya
We’ll make a pottage, creating it from period based on what a normal pottage would have. 2-hour class.

10 am:  Knife Sharpening, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora
Class will teach you how to sharpen your knives and keep them sharp. It will cover whetstones, oilstones, sandpaper and the use (and misuse) of steels. Bring your knives. There should be time for some hands-on practice. 1-hour class.

10 am:  Breads and Flatbreads, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
We will discuss bread in period and use a redacted period bread recipe (Rastons) to make dough and bake it off in either the oven on site or a small portable stoneware pizza oven. Weather permitting, we will also have access to a fire pit to make some flatbreads. Come and make some bread This is a hands-on class, you will make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

11 am:  Feeding Mobs, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora
It’s not always a feast or an inn. Sometimes you just want to throw a giant party, all night, for dirt cheap. Come learn how we did the Tor Tuesday party the last two years running! 1-hour class.

11 am: Foods for Fasting: Vegan Dishes in the Middle Ages, Mistress Sibilla Swaine
Think that plant-based diets are modern? Come learn about the abundant medieval recipes that were developed for the multitude of religious fasting days, and just how easy it is to modify recipes to suityour needs! For the purposes of this class, fish will be excluded in the menu of fast approved foods. 1-hour class.

Noon to 1 pm:  Donation Lunch Inn

Noon:  Cooking in Clay Pots over Fire Pit/Fire Table/Oven: Making Baked Apples and Apple Tarts, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
We will discuss how to use and clean your clay cooking pots. We will then make our baked apples and depending on how long it takes our apples to bake, we may be able to make apple tarts in the oven (if the weather permits). This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

1 pm:  Heat and Spices, Lord Hirakawa Kagetora
There’s more to spices than just throwing them on top of something and calling it done. Learn the differences of tinctures, decoctions, roasting and frying spices. There will be samples. 1-hour class.

2 pm:  Getting Started in Outdoor Cooking, The Honorable Lady Fiondel Songspinner
This class is specifically designed for those gentles who have not done a great deal of outdoor cooking, or who have limited equipment and/or limited funds for equipment purchases. We’ll look at easy ways to get started, menu choices that serve many for not much, and period foods that are inexpensive and relatively easy to make. 1-hour class.

2 pm:  Making Fresh Cheese, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
We will discuss basic fresh cheese and how it differs from a hard/aged cheese. During the class we will make both a loose fresh curd cheese (spreadable) and a pressed fresh curd cheese. We will also experiment with different ways to flavor cheeses and enjoy taste testing each other’s cheesy creations. This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 1-hour class.

3 pm:  Medieval Fire Starting, Mistress Lilian Bowyer
Class will show you how to start a fire with flint and steel, how to catch the spark and keep it going, and what materials to use. Class will also look at many small stoves you can use when camping. 1-hour class.

3 pm:  Yes Whey! Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
Stay after the Fresh Cheese Class or join us independently for a chance to discuss the different types of whey and their uses. Attendees will be able to sample the whey from the previous Making Fresh Cheese class as well as other whey-prepared items. This is a discussion/roundtable class where we can share information and ideas. There will be a hand-out with some ideas on how to utilize whey and I will leave plenty of room to take notes of other ideas that are discussed. You will be able to taste/experience some items that one can use whey for. If you’re an experienced cheesemaker please come share your experience, experiments, and ideas with us too! 1-hour class.

4 pm:  The Culture of Cooking, THL Ysabel de la Oya
This class will look at the cultural, economic, legal, and scientific reasons why people in the Middle Ages ate the way they did. 1-hour class.

4 pm:  Noodley Goodness: Medieval Mac and Cheese, Mistress Alianora des Almandiers
Come learn how to make fresh egg noodles and then we will cook the noodles and make Makerouns. It’s no coincidence that this class is happening at about dinner time. Makerouns is a period redaction of Mac and Cheese from the 14th Century English source Form of Cury. And yes, we will eat this lovely dish when comes out of the oven. This is a hands-on class. You will make items to taste and share as a group. I will have a donation jar available to help cover material fees, but a donation is not required to come and play with us. 2-hour class.

Mathurin Kerbusso, Pyrosteward

You may view the latest post at http://falconbanner.gladiusinfractus.com/2018/08/14/playing-with-fire-at-horse-and-falcons-class-schedule/ You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are posted. Best regards, The Falcon Banner [log in to unmask]