Oh my! I didn’t realize all five of those were different lock options. This is helpful to know. The last padlock, FYI, still lets you change its position in the layer order. As far as I know, it’s only the background layer that is immovable, unless you double click on it and turn it into a layer that is no longer “background.”

Lynette

> On Aug 1, 2018, at 6:29 PM, James A. Perkins <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> There are actually five different lock options for each layer. If you look near the top of the Layers palette, you’ll see the word “Lock” with five icons next to it. Select any layer and you can then choose any of these five lock options for that layer.
>
> "Lock transparent pixels" retains the transparency of each pixel on that layer. You can paint to change its color and you can also move/rotate/scale objects, but can’t make them more or less transparent.
>
> "Lock image pixels" prevents you from painting on the layer, but you can still move/rotate/scale objects.
>
> "Lock position" allows you to paint and change transparency but you can’t change the position of an object (i.e., you can’t move, rotate or scale).
>
> I’ve never used the fourth option - “Prevent auto-nesting into and out of Artboards”. No idea what that means.
>
> The last option is the padlock (“Lock all”), which completely locks the layer.
>

> The auto-nesting thing is new to CC, but all of the other options have been around for all of the CS versions and even earlier.
>
> Jim
>

> James A. Perkins, MFA, CMI, FAMI
> Board Certified Medical Illustrator
> Fellow, Association of Medical Illustrators
>
> Professor and Graduate Director
> Medical Illustration
> Rochester Institute of Technology
> CBET 75-2129