Hi Eric,
He can also try our MA program, which could be a good opportunity to give
him time to think about further study or looking for a job,  at University
of Denver. Depending on his application package, he may even get paid
Teaching Assistant position.  He can contact our development economics
expert and current chair, Peter Ho ([log in to unmask]).
Good luck.