Linda,

I use several printers. If you just need a b&w laser, the HP laser printers have done OK for me. I wore one out, and I’m on my 2nd one - an HP P1102w (w for wireless). It works fine and wirelessly at that (one less cable). I like a laser printer for quick prints (ink jet prints are slow). I do find that the printer tells you it needs a new cartridge way before you do… so I use it until my printouts become blotchy and then I replace the cartridge. The printer was about $100. Toner isn’t cheap (about $70) but a cartridge lasts me about a year, so that’s not bad. This has been replaced by HP Laserjet Pro M102w, which sells for $99.

Beware that Amazon includes something called Amazon Dash Replenishment, whereby the printer tracks usage and automatically orders toner when you need it. It does say it’s optional and has to be set up. Me - I find that a bit intrusive and wouldn’t use this feature.

I’m not familiar with lower end Epson printers.

Good luck!