That’s a good point, Linda, about checking with other tech support personnel to see if the same story holds. In this case I was “upgraded” to a sr. tech as the first person was not able to resolve the issue. A lot of good that did. . .

Happily, none of my e-mail was, in fact, lost at all. It just seemed to be lost. And before I discovered this I imported my mail from Time Machine several times to get all that back, and it disappeared too! First one mailbox, then another mailbox, finally a third mailbox. But once I had the proper “AHA!” moment and hit Command-L all of those missing messages reappeared where they were supposed to be. It’s like the “Undo” in Photoshop.

The tech had taken me to the menu to check this somewhere along the line. It’s “View” then “Enable Message Filter” in the drop-down menu. Only what she said was that this enables the Rules you set up in the Mail program. Well, I never set any rules on this machine and when she glanced at the setting she said, “Oh, it’s what it should be.” But it wasn’t. It was supposed to be opposite to what she said (disabled rather than enabled). When I told her about this yesterday she said she wasn’t aware that the command filtered out read messages. Yikes.

Lynette